Valedictorian Speech

Good morning all grade 5/6 teachers and students,

As we come to the end of primary school experience we look back on what a journey we have had, from the spectacular scientific GTAC excursions to the Amazing adventures of camp Currumbin.  It’s hard to believe I’ve only been at this school 6 years I feel like I know everyone to well It’s going to be hard saying goodbye to all these talented people but in the words of Alexander graham “When one door closes another opens but often we look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.

I like to think of life as one jigsaw puzzle. As we move on through the chapters that unfold in front of us all the more pieces we add to our life puzzle until in the end our puzzle will slowly turn into a fully formed photo. Leaving this amazing community of people and moving on to meet others will just be one piece added to our personalized life jigsaw puzzle. One of the hardest things to do in life is let go. Let go of what at the time seems like the only option in life. It may not seem like it but we have been through this before 7 years back when we wore only little tykes and did not know our left from our right. And we will be doing it again in another six years to come when we will be moving on to adult hood.

I have never met such an amazing group of young well educated people I don’t have a doubt in my mind that everyone else agrees with me. From Jacobs poetic poems, eves funky dance moves Lillis brilliant singing voice and Devin’s wonderful worm dance the list just goes on. We have all been through a lot when I came to this school in grade one I saw such an amazing community and although this sounds weird I was so happy to actually see grass in the yard. I’m sure back in the day it seemed hard to get over the first Friday with no Friday fun or to come to the realization that maths would not always be done with a bit of fraction chief but as we have all realized we got through it and there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have been very privileged with my leadership role this year. Angus and I wanted to make this school a better place but quit quickly we came to the realization that that was going to be very hard as the school was already bursting personality, happiness and care. I would like to thank all the teachers that have lead me in the right direction the second I came to this school, The five six teaching team for making my last two years at primary school the best ever and finally I would like to thank all the year six  students for making every memory an exciting one.

It’s going to be hard leaving an adventure that had seemed to last forever and for most of us next year we will be looking forward to a regular day at school for different reasons but in the words of Charles dickens the pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again. So as we all go our separate ways next year I know everyone will keep in their hearts that we are the class of 2014 and I know one will ever forget that.